• PHP Development in the Cloud by Ivo Jansch and Vito Chin

by  • August 5, 2011 • Books, PHP • 3 Comments

Cloud computing is finally reaching a point of maturity and leaving its early “hype” years behind. Ivo and Vito do a very good job of bringing the topic into a PHP developer’s world in a very concise and objective manner, without leaving important platforms and concepts behind.

From the top the book sets down the glossary and explains very clearly what Cloud computing is and where it stands, which is very important if you are to decide wether its the solution for you or not. It also brings the concept into technical view reviewing the differences between a regular hosting environment and a elastic cloud structure. This is very important to architects building new applications that mean to take full advantage of the cloud. Finally the book overviews a few examples and most importantly a few providers and solutions, such as Amazon, Windows Azure and Google App Engine.

The book was a very pleasant read, not thick and not too thin. It helped me greatly as I prepared to give a presentation on Cloud Computing, allowing me to see different points of view as well as compare other technologies i had not had time or chance to try. I recommend this for any application architect who is thinking if the cloud is the right solution, but even if its not on your mind yet. Its very important to know where the cloud fits in so that when given a choice you will know the cloud is an option to be considered.

Book CoverTitle: PHP Development in the Cloud – a php|architect Guide
    By: Ivo Jansch and Vito Chin
    Publisher: Blue Parabola

Pages: 172
    ISBN: 9780981034522

Buy it: At php|architect

About

Rafael Dohms is an experienced PHP Developer, Evangelist, Speaker and Contributor. During his years of experience he has become an active member of the community and founded 3 User Groups. He moved to the Netherlands to integrate the WEBclusive team and share his passion for code quality and innovation in the Crowd funding world. In his spare time he also helps manage the AmsterdamPHP User Group, amongst other projects.

3 Responses to PHP Development in the Cloud by Ivo Jansch and Vito Chin

1. August 5, 2011 at 11:15

nice review!

2. Pingback: PHP Development in the Cloud by Ivo Jansch and Vito Chin | Dacoders Pvt. Ltd.

3. Pingback: PHP Development in the Cloud by Ivo Jansch and Vito Chin | Beads Wholesale Forum

4. henry
      August 9, 2011 at 19:58

i won't trust any book from php|architect

• Rafael Dohms
        August 9, 2011 at 20:09

Why is that? I have many books from them and all are very useful.Please do give me more details.

• henry
          August 10, 2011 at 20:43

I read some of their books. I remember the first one is Guide to PHP design patterns. In thhis book, they spend a lot in unit testing with Simpletest. For me that's quite distracting and unnecessary. And they are not introducing any concepts about TDD or refactoring. Another issue is they implement each pattern in both PHP 5 and PHP 4. Doing this may help in understanding the difference between PHP 5 and PHP 4, but, I personally think a design pattern book should focus on telling people why should we use these patterns, when to use them, what problems we can use them to solve and what are the benefits of using them, and then just implement these patterns in PHP 5. Showing the difference between PHP 5 and PHP 4 shouldn't be the purpose of this book and that is another distracting. I personally don't think implementing design patterns in PHP 4, a not real OPP language, should take half of the book. And last, they do raise the problem for each pattern to solve. But, after reading it, i'm still not sure what problems they can really solve. I think the examples are not quite demonstrative.

I also read the book 'Guide to Programming with Zend Framework'. Unfortunately i can't remember what this book is talking about now. I got all my Zend Framework knowledge from Zend Framework in Action and Practical Web 2.0 Applications with PHP(Also from ZF manula for sure).

The recent book i read from php|architect is Guide to Web Scraping. hummm, i can't say this book is written bad. But it actually only tells you how to use different libraries. It is simply not really about the topic web scraping. i personally think another book "Webbots, Spiders, and Screen Scrapers: A Guide to Developing Internet Agents with PHP/CURL" is a better one. This one really shows you how you can use web scraping techniques to build useful applications.

• Rafael Dohms
            August 15, 2011 at 11:07

ok, i get your frustrations, but i also look at this another way.

PHP Design Patterns was published during the great divide between PHP 4 and 5, and that was the reality back then. the book focuses on practical examples, since there are great Design Pattern books out there, no use competing with them on that level. PHP has matured from them, i agree we need a book on the why's to use them. Also TDD was not very common back then, and our tools were not very capable, look at PHPUnit nowadays, now we can talk about TDD.

Have not read the other two, but then php|architect books are usually smallish, practical and quick reference books, good to give you a few new ideas on new topics and such. Their DateTime book was useful for me in this way and is a great reference book when i get confused in timezones and such.

I just don't think its fair to generalize them on a few experiences, I have read a few of their books and the ZCE guide helped me so much in getting my ZCE. Hope you have better experiences in the future.

5. April 3, 2012 at 14:46

Very good one

6. Pingback: PHP Interview With Vito Chin The Lead Maintainer Of Gmagick Extension For PHP

7. February 11, 2014 at 3:19

I was looking for ideas about this Cloud before. I'm glad I found this similar topic about Cloud Computing in this article.